Death of John Pytlak

Alain LeTourneau

I am sorry to hear this.

He was a true gentleman his contribution to the image making sciences are greatly appreciated.

He would always answer emails from me and offer me invaluable insights. No question was left unanswered.

I will miss you John. I am sure all of us on this forum will say the same.

Rest in peace and my deepest condolences to your family.

Árni Heimir

Now that the very sad news of John's much too soon death has reached us.

I would propose that we begin to discuss the idea of a film fund named in his honour. The fund would receive donations from working forum members each year, all voluntary of course, and then at the end of the year we would nominate 3-4 forum members who are students enrolled full time in a post secondary film school.

From these nominees we would vote on the best candidate to receieve the John Pytlak Award for use in furthering their studies of film. Voting might be a bit complicated so we could just have 3-5 senior forum members to make the call.

The award would be open to any forum member from around the globe of course.

Since John contributed so much to this forum it would seem appropriate that we could use the forum to help the next generation of filmmakers.

Tim would you support this idea as forum "boss"?

Any others like this idea?

Thanks,

R,

Since he's known on several other forums as well, it would seem worth counselling their opinion. Might be hard to reach a consensus, but it should be tried.

Phil

Next to impossible I'd say, consensus amongst film people?

R,

• Premium Member

That is so sad. He was such a wonderful guy, so helpful to everyone. He gave me alot of assistance when I first started the web site, and got me connected to the right people at Kodak.

My favorite John story is when he told about winning his Academy Award, and if I remember correctly, Renée Zellweger was the presenter, and he acted like a teenage boy, star struck by the pretty movie star.

Wow, he will be missed.

Godspeed John.

-Tim

I would propose that we begin to discuss the idea of a film fund named in his honour. The fund would receive donations from working forum members each year, all voluntary of course, and then at the end of the year we would nominate 3-4 forum members who are students enrolled full time in a post secondary film school.

From these nominees we would vote on the best candidate to receieve the John Pytlak Award for use in furthering their studies of film. Voting might be a bit complicated so we could just have 3-5 senior forum members to make the call.

Since John contributed so much to this forum it would seem appropriate that we could use the forum to help the next generation of filmmakers.

Thanks,

R,

In the meantime, may I make a suggestion?

When I was making a blood donation a few days ago, I was given a pamphlet of ideas for encouraging friends and acquaintances to become blood donors.

One of the biggest users of blood products are cancer patients, and simply becoming a regular donor is an excellent way of remembering someone who has succumed to cancer, or to show solidarity with someone who is still battling the disease.

This is particualrly relevant to John, because New York traditionally faces severe blood shortages at this time of year.

Contrary to popular opinion, unpaid volunteers provide the vast bulk of the blood used in hospitals. In the US, most hospitals will only use paid donations as a last resort, and in many countries they are illegal. The sad fact is that a person seeking payment for a pint of their own blood is probably the last person you'd want to buy it from!

Making a donation costs you nothing but a bit of time, and the best thing is, no matter who you are or how much money you have, you all donate the same amount!

My favorite John story is when he told about winning his Academy Award, and if I remember correctly, Renée Zellweger was the presenter, and he acted like a teenage boy, star struck by the pretty movie star.

Here is the link to a video of him winning his OSCAR.

This time they definately picked the right guy.

Thanks,

R,

I like the idea. Especially as I'm attending Ravensbourne college in September (Maybe I'm in for a chance, in my third year perhaps)

Although, can we really see this happening? I doubt many people here have enough money to go donating it to film. I don't, that's for sure.

In the meantime, may I make a suggestion?

When I was making a blood donation a few days ago, I was given a pamphlet of ideas for encouraging friends and acquaintances to become blood donors.

One of the biggest users of blood products are cancer patients, and simply becoming a regular donor is an excellent way of remembering someone who has succumed to cancer, or to show solidarity with someone who is still battling the disease.

This is particularly relevant to John, because New York traditionally faces severe blood shortages at this time of year.

Contrary to popular opinion, unpaid volunteers provide the vast bulk of the blood used in hospitals. In the US, most hospitals will only use paid donations as a last resort, and in many countries they are illegal. The sad fact is that a person seeking payment for a pint of their own blood is probably the last person you'd want to buy it from!

Making a donation costs you nothing but a bit of time, and the best thing is, no matter who you are or how much money you have, you all donate the same amount!

I really need to get involved in that. However, I think it's probably appropriate to bring up an old thread of mine at this time.

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...c=22748&hl=

You can help cure cancer etc. by leaving this piece of software running whilst your computer is idle. And it has very little or no affect on the performance of your computer when you want to use it for power hungry software. (I leave mine running whilst playing power hungry 3D games)

And yes, there is a cinematography.com team, search it up if you want to join it.