Soderberg and the iPhone

charles pappas

Did anyone mention the statistics that No Film School listed about movies shown at Sundance? Out of 247 projects that submitted data:

90 ARRI

37 Canon

28 Sony

15 Red

3 film

1 Panasonic

Now that leaves 73 with no camera listed...

3 film???

I'm living in the Mirror universe, I'm never beaming up during an ion storm again.

I don't understand all the hate for the iphone. The look is totally unique. Break the tyranny of beauty! Sometimes ugly is better!

So my S6's screen broke and today I almost got an iPhone X to replace it because of this thread. But I got to the store and was informed the iPhone screens are made by Samsung, and the S8 Active has a 4K camera. I ended up sticking to Samsung.

I don't understand all the hate for the iphone. The look is totally unique. Break the tyranny of beauty! Sometimes ugly is better!

No one is questioning the use of an iPhone IF that is the look you are going for.. although TBH I still think it would be better to use an actual video camera.. but thats my preference.. the question is whether to use one but without any special reason to.. be that budget, location or lack of crew.. all of which don't seem to apply to this film.. its not a hate of the iPhone at all..just the why..?

• Premium Member

one of the reasons might be actually that S.S liked to experiment with a 'free' shooting style without the need for focus pullers and retakes for technical mistakes and such :lol:

just some experimenting gopro style "what you see is NOT what you get: what you get IS what you get no matter what you try" B)

maybe he should do some real Danish style dogma next.

These half-ass pseudo dogmas never tend to fully work for the audience, they are like indie movies with more than zero but not enough budget (zero budget would be good, high budget would be good, cheap ass budget makes just, well, a cheap movie no one cares to watch :ph34r: )

Edited by aapo lettinen

Shoot it on an A9 with face detect then.. you can even register 8 faces or something like that.. :).. I,ll bet there were plenty of retakes shooting on an iPhone..would be a nightmare.. and a hell of alot of post..a very restrictive way to shoot no.. ?

Edited by Robin R Probyn

This may deserve it's own thread but since it's clearly iPhone related...
Paul Schrader holds a talk about how he recut and reshaped Dying of the light, and "re filmed" the footage from the monitor on an iPhone(he shows how -- about 33min in to the talk) because he didn't have access to the original material.
The are pretty long scenes from both the new version -- Dark and Dying of the light, in the talk. And he shows the final scene of Dark so spoiler warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcM8UU07cuY

One really has to wonder if that same set up would give you the same result as being on the Alexa?

I suppose in the end it's all about the look you want, I'm still happy with VHS on NTSC 640x480.

R,

• Premium Member

"It was a select area of home electronics, it may have been a category of "stereo" equipment, I can't remember. "

​So actually to your own knowledge record players were not the highest selling home electronic item of 2015.. maybe it was the category of "record players" for that year :) .. and maybe it was tiny.. compared to ever other home electrical item sold in 2015.. cant just keep making these wild claims man.. you do the same about cameras and god know what else ..

I'm the technical manager for a large Australian electronics retailer, and I can tell you we do sell a large number of record players. BUT they're definitely not Hi Fi. The simple reality is that there is a large segment of the older population (both here and in most Western countries) with large collections of LPs that they wouldn't mind hearing again, but they're not prepared to spend a fortune on an expensive audiophile setup. What we and many other stores sell are basic stereo systems not greatly different to what were commonly on sale around 40 years ago. OK, your average audiophile would sneeringly turn their noses at such basic equipment, but for most people it does the job.

Actually the most common reason stated for a sale is an upcoming birthday for an elderly parent and the kids want to surprise him/her by putting on some of their old records that they might not have heard for decades.

So yes, there are currently a lot of record players being sold, but NOT HiFi and nowhere near as many records.

This "vinyl is coming back" thing is utter hogwash. All that's coming back is an affordable way of playing people's old record collections.

Keith I totally agreed with you.. the idea that vinyl is making some massive come back is total bollocks ..except in retirement homes or oldies parties, as your sales reflect. its not a mass of young people going for high fidelity and paying out for high end gear.. I was just questioning the source of .. ..the bold claim ,put out by the bold claimer in residence .. Mr Tyler..

"The number one home electronic device sold in 2015 were record players. The vinyl business today is far bigger than the CD business, with MUCH bigger profits."

​And his rather vague reply in response .. to another poster questioning the actual veracity of this claim.. omitted from the great oracle :)

Yes everyone knows that.. going the same way as vinyl ..film production.. times change.. but I,ll run naked down Sunset Boulevard .. singing Yanky doodle dandy.. if record players were the biggest selling home electronic item in 2015 .. whether Tyler means the US or worldwide .. still waiting for the proof of that bold statement ..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

Yes everyone knows that.. going the same way as vinyl ..film production.. times change.. but I,ll run naked down Sunset Boulevard .. singing Yanky doodle dandy.. if record players were the biggest selling home electronic item in 2015 .. whether Tyler means the US or worldwide .. still waiting for the proof of that bold statement .

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/amazon-sold-more-turntables-home-audio-christmas/