Orwo NC400 35mm test

Paul-Anthony

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Paul-Anthony said:

Hi.
Here is our contribution to the Orwo new film test in 35mm 2 perf.

Thank you Paul-Anthony for sharing. Is this a flat scan or did you apply a grade? Looks better than the 16mm one but still a little jiggly.

Its a flat scan from a Laser Graphics Scanstation.
Yes, much better than 16mm, but there is an stupid issue with the perforations that are not cutted properly and this brings image unsteadiness, very frustrating because the look is really nice, it give us an interesting alternative to Kodak stock.

These tests were shot with an Arriflex 2C. We were afraid tu put the film in our Penelope because of the perforations that are not perfectly regular, this could cause several damages on the mouvement of the camera. The 2C can eat any film. We are doing tests now with an Arricam to try to pitch the camera as silent as possible, it seems complicated...

Here is a link I will keep open for a couple of days if you want to download the ProRes files : https://f.io/rqLGhkgS

Edited by Paul-Anthony
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Paul-Anthony said:

Yes, much better than 16mm, but there is an stupid issue with the perforations that are not cutted properly and this brings image unsteadiness, very frustrating because the look is really nice, it give us an interesting alternative to Kodak stock.

Yea, the perf cutting is the problem. 35mm cameras don't use the side rail for registration either, so that's why you're only seeing the perf issues. On 16mm, ya get the side rail as well.

The coloring of the sky is so weird. Did the color shift when the stock pushed that hard dynamically? Have you tried to fix it in post? We saw some odd things with fluctuations in color related to highlights as well. 

Sadly we're done testing for a few weeks, but when we get back from our trip later in the month, we'll try and do some more over exposing tests. They ran out of 35mm before I could get any, so all we got is 16mm right now. 

Just to confirm this is actually NC400 and not NC500 right? I don't think I ever saw NC400 available in 16mm or 35mm rolls, only the photography stuff. Your test does seem to make sense though because from looking at various test from photographers it looks like NC400 has a way cooler look and NC500 is much warmer.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Fedor Karpenko said:

Just to confirm this is actually NC400 and not NC500 right? I don't think I ever saw NC400 available in 16mm or 35mm rolls, only the photography stuff. Your test does seem to make sense though because from looking at various test from photographers it looks like NC400 has a way cooler look and NC500 is much warmer.

They have not been selling NC400 on the website thus far. So it must be prototype stock. It is for sure finer grain. I don't know the benefits of NC500 outside of it being grainer? 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Paul-Anthony said:

Sorry to contradict you, but NC400 was available for purchase on the ORWO shop website in 35mm and 16mm. It has disapeared since, do not really know why

Interesting, yea I never saw it. I went to order the day they announced it and all they had was NC500. Interesting. 

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

35mm cameras don't use the side rail for registration either, so that's why you're only seeing the perf issues. On 16mm, ya get the side rail as well.

The 35mm camera used was an Arri 2C which uses a side rail for lateral registration. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Interesting, yea I never saw it. I went to order the day they announced it and all they had was NC500. Interesting. 

Yeah same experience here, got it the day of the announcement and didn't see NC400 available. Maybe it was a regional thing??

• Premium Member
On 2/4/2023 at 2:58 PM, Dom Jaeger said:

The 35mm camera used was an Arri 2C which uses a side rail for lateral registration. 

Yes it was my mistake, I meant to say "usually" don't use the side rail for lateral registration.

The Aaton cameras all use the side rail for registration even in 35mm. 

• 1 month later...