David Mullen ASC

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

I just received this article in my Panavision inbox about the cinematography of The Marvelous Mrs Maisel:

https://www.panavision.com/making-mrs-maisel-look-marvelous

I don't recall anyone here mentioning it at the time, but Mr Mullen received an Emmy nomination this year for his work on this series. Belated congratulations David! Some of this year's season was shot in Paris, I understand, which must have been fun!

Unfortunately I don't have access to the streaming service that show Mrs Maisel here in Australia, so I haven't seen it yet. I may have to bite the bullet and subscribe.

• Upvote 1

It's worth it. We're nursing it along one episode a night and 2nd season is even better than the first IMO. The stylization of the performances is on the verge of being too much, but isnt. It's something else!

• Upvote 1

Watching what I think was ep 7 (the one that Rufus Sewell is going to win an Emmy for is what we're already calling it) last night, we were laughing so hard and long that I think we missed a third of the jokes. It made me think of ANNIE HALL, where they had to keep adding more dead space after previews to keep the cocaine-sneezing laughter from wiping out the next scene!

Its great... Eric Moynier did a wonderful job shooting that one is some hard-to-light locations, like McSorleys Ale House. I wish I had gotten to meet Rufus Sewell I didnt realize he had been cast until I was watching dailies!

(Excuse the lack of punctuation when I write posts from my iPhone)

I believe this show is up for some awards this season. I don't know if cinematography is one of them, but all the same, congratulations! Everybody involved wins in these situations.

• Upvote 1