Alexander Boyd

Labs in Europe - Recommendations?

Hey everyone,

I've done some research already of course, but just wanted to gather some first hand experiences and recommendations.

Looking to scan a few 16mm rolls, either HD or 2K (depending on the price differences). What matters most to me ...

- quality ... not sure what scanner I should be looking out for (or avoiding)

- price ... obviously, since it's mostly smaller indie/art projects

- turnaround time ... not important at all, not in hurry really

So, just curious if you can recommend a specific lab or if you have had good/bad experiences with some. I'm located in Brussels, so anywhere in London, Paris, Belgium and Berlin works easily.

Thanks for your help,

Alex

Cinelab London are great! Here's their website. I'm sure if you phone them or up email and talk about your needs they will be able to help you.

I guess a big price for you would be shipping the film but you could look online at shipping estimates with a postal company in Belgium.

• Upvote 1

For developing I recommend Dejonghe Postproduction. Shipping would be easy because it's located close to you. Their prices are also good even for small projects. Then you could ship the developed film to whichever place you like for scanning, if you for example want to do the scanning in the US. No need to arrange difficult and expensive shipping toavoid xray damage when shipping only developed stuff

Hey Alex.

In Paris France check >>> Kafard films >>> www.kafardfilms.fr

They have a LaserGraphics ScanStation and film processing is done at Hiventy, very serious Lab.

Hit me an email if you want more informations or DPX samples of projects I've done there.

Cheers.
P.A

Cinelab London did Phantom Thread recently and doing Star Wars Episode IX by JJ Abrams....good enough for them good enough for me hahahahahah....

Contact Sonji Clarke...shes great!
sonji.clarke@cinelab.london

My experience with them:
Booked the film footage to be done.....told them exactly when they were getting it.......prepaid it when they got it.....that day later the film was processed...a day later in the afternoon my footage had been scanned by their Arriscan and uploaded for me to grab vis ftp upload

Quality fantastic - 2k full gate 16mm standard

Edited by Stephen Perera

What about eastern Europe? I may be going to Kosovo and am considering shooting a short on S16.

A Czech lab in Zlin, called Bonton, is reputable and not too far away. The nearest one is in Bucharest.