Annoyed by the GoPro fad

Max Field

Is anyone else seeing student/low budget films where it cuts to a mounted car shot and the quality suddenly diminishes due to the tiny thing's compression?

Can anyone think of another time in the history of consumer video where a camera became THIS much of a fad? The harshness of its wide angle is just ugly to me.

It has the POTENTIAL to be a quality camera, but I feel like the company is riding the consumer wave as long as they can.

What do y'all think?

• Premium Member

I think it's a flat-head screwdriver. It does a job well, but if you're working with Phillips head screws, you can maybe get it done, but it's not the right tool.

thing is it's accessible and ubiquitous so it'll get used much like any camera (Look at no light shooting with the A7Sii as another example), if anything it makes it better when you either don't use it yourself and do something more interesting, or use it in a proper way. Be glad the vast swaths of people are doing x so you can distinguish yourself doing y.

I think I have spotted some GoPro footage even in Walking Dead, season 3 (?). Perhaps it was put there to promote the superiority of film based capture, as that digital footage definitely did stand out and not in a good way ;)

They are pretty good in 4K for time lapse.. I guess if you cant afford or fit a A7 or 5D into somewhere then use a go pro or nothing They are good for TV though.. I just used one a few days back for a BBC shoot.. red hot sword plunging into clear water tank.. worked very well.. they have their uses I think.. some you can set to not being super wide ..usually the go pro give away..

They are pretty good in 4K for time lapse.. I guess if you cant afford or fit a A7 or 5D into somewhere then use a go pro or nothing

But don't cameras as old as the 20D take stills the size of 4k resolution? With a lens, that's like $250 at the maximum and still lets you capture raw.

If GoPro had a similar SD capture system to the BMPCC I'd be like "interesting little firecrackers here" but so many specs with them scream consumer. If someone wants to have fun I won't stop them, but -knowing- it's a GoPro when you see it gives off a tacky feel.

Is it worse than the, "Shot an an Iphone..." stuff?

Debatable.

Yes sure ,but I find personally its very quick to rig up a go pro on a clamp,esp now with the iPhone app to see the shot and switch on by remote..replay.. they were a pain before the app thats for sure !.. also they are recording in a video file and alot smaller to carry around .. also rather my go pro fell off a car than an A7 or 5D.. ! the early Canon 5D needed a separate inter voltmeter too..

As someone else said I wouldn't want to shoot an interview or scene with one.. but they do have their uses .. and you can set to mid rather than that super wide "go pro" look..

I get what your saying.. but I think they are very useful for alot of situations.. and also where there just isnt room for a DSLR/pocket cam.. or it would be dangerous..

Is anyone else seeing student/low budget films where it cuts to a mounted car shot and the quality suddenly diminishes due to the tiny thing's compression?

I guess you didn't see the Hobbit where the Hobbits travel down the river in the barrels. Big budget movie with a scene with a little camera look. Not sure if it's a GoPro, but it's something similiar. It's not just the little movies.

Those horrendous shots in The Hobbit: DOS make me cringe every time. I'm stunned that Peter Jackson let this fly, it's just the main example of why it's reviled, you got pristine Red Epic footage, and then all of a sudden, you cut to a crappy POV shot with that GoPro look that we all love so much, then back to Epic, and back to GoPro. Even in TWD, or plenty of other stuff, it's just misguided. WHY? Why the f would you use a GoPro to show some useless angle, or crash, or whatever, most of the time, the way it's used, it's just not needed, it's distracting, and ugly.

• Premium Member

Can anyone think of another time in the history of consumer video where a camera became THIS much of a fad? The harshness of its wide angle is just ugly to me.

It has the POTENTIAL to be a quality camera, but I feel like the company is riding the consumer wave as long as they can.

What do y'all think?

It doesn't bother me any. I'm glad for it in fact. When I was starting out you needed gobs of cash to get a rental package and film stock alone. Digital has brought down the cost, so now more people can make their visions happen.

I hate shaky cam, massive numbers of jump cuts of a single shot (usually of some dude talking to the camera on YouTube), and "Kids react to..." or "Group X reacts to" vids, but it's part of what's trending.

Shoot your stuff, make it better, and show 'em how it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to revive this thread.. Ive learnt while checking my own go pro !.. with the latest FW there is now "linear" FOV.. introduced for the ill fated Karma drone.. to straighten out the horizon I presume.. still pretty wide but without the give away go pro distortion.. going to use it for a car shoot next week.. with a dir who didnt want the go pro look thing.. Ill have F5 as main camera but for car mount stuff use go pro with this FOV setting.. just thought this might be useful for someone ..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Or if you're limited by weight considerations.

True. I was shooting some documentary stuff of a test plane for a large tech company last year and we rigged a few GoPro shots to the exterior and interior. They were quite conscious of weight as it was a tiny plane. Even BM Micro cameras probably would have been an issue.