NEW film camera - Logmar Magellan 65mm camera

• Premium Member

Takes a Hasselblad Zeiss lens mount...such a fantastic, practical idea.......this is going to make a lot of people happy if this takes off....personally I have 2 different 50mm lenses, an 80mm, a 110mm, a 150mm and a 250mm lens in my kit......I could stick any of those on....unbelievable

.........now for the price.........I wonder if they have the balls to make it REALLY affordable even the cost of the stock and footage processing etc 65mm would take

A 65mm camera is an interesting choice. I thought they would have built a 3 perf super 35 or 2 perf. I guess the overall trend of "Bigger is Better" remains. The fact that is records audio, if I read that correctly, is strange, but it seems that they are adding many features taken for granted in a digital cinema camera. All the video add ons sound great! All in all, a great idea. I too hope the price is such that rental houses don't or won't charge too much for using it. Best of luck!! Looking forward to seeing it.

• Premium Member

A 65mm camera is an interesting choice. I thought they would have built a 3 perf super 35 or 2 perf. I guess the overall trend of "Bigger is Better" remains. The fact that is records audio, if I read that correctly, is strange, but it seems that they are adding many features taken for granted in a digital cinema camera. All the video add ons sound great! All in all, a great idea. I too hope the price is such that rental houses don't or won't charge too much for using it. Best of luck!! Looking forward to seeing it.

There are lots of 35mm cameras out there, the market is totally saturated.

There isn't a single lightweight, sync sound 65mm camera on the market. The lightest is 75lb. So there is a huge market for one because the main factor more people don't shoot 65mm is the limited availability of cameras (there are 2 from panavision and 2 from arri in the entire world) AND most importantly, the fact they're HUGE! Size does matter when you're shooting on location.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

dont forget how many Hasselblad lenses out there.....having that mount opens a LOT of doors......

There isn't a single lightweight, sync sound 65mm camera on the market. The lightest is 75lb. So there is a huge market for one because the main factor more people don't shoot 65mm is the limited availability of cameras (there are 2 from panavision and 2 from arri in the entire world) AND most importantly, the fact they're HUGE! Size does matter when you're shooting on location.

It's like early signs of Spring ... you know, buds starting to appear, the tiny small sound of trickling water beginning. The film resurgence is on the move. Film really is on the brink - of a comeback. It's too good to walk away from. Always will be. They'll be shooting features on film again in Australia one day reasonably soon. That's a prediction.

But there are so few 2 perf cameras, so I thought that might be a niche to fill.

I want one ! :rolleyes:

But there are so few 2 perf cameras, so I thought that might be a niche to fill.

I agree. If Logmar could produce a reasonably priced and quiet 2 perf, there'd be a market for sure.

• Premium Member

the build quality of that 65 one screams cheap-o prosume :blink:

maybe they would change it for the production run. but I am sure the people who actually can afford shooting 65mm would like for example that weird obstructing battery mount or the cheap-o smallrig rods mount.

Would be a great c-cam for 65mm productions for sure :lol: or for steadicam stuff or similar use.

the 2-perf 35mm model would sell in much higher quantities and every indie person would want one if it would be affordable :)

there is huge lack of quiet sound 2perf cameras as well, converting the old 4perf models is pretty difficult and expensive and there is not enough suitable camera bodies available :unsure:

I hope the production run would have better paint etc than that prototype model, it looks like the Soviet temp35 high speed camera mated with Kinor35 with some Krasnogorsk3 parts added and painted with the original cheap Soviet black paint from the 70's :P

• Premium Member

Well, if it had all the aesthetic niceties (and accompanying costs in design and molding) you suggest for roll-out, I'll bet you'd be no more likely to run out an buy one today, eh?

Funny how even the slickest cameras wind up covered in tape, scratches and dirt; because they are TOOLS to get the job done.

Myself, I congratulate Logmar for having the balls to bring such a camera out at this point in history! It might not be everything to everybody, but it shows a real commitment to film and they DID put their money where their mouth is, so you have to give them credit for doing that!

Maybe if a few sell, they can refine the design a bit, or purchasers can mod it up a bit, but I don't understand nitpicking such a huge effort...

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

I mean I would think this is supposed to be a B/C Camera specifically for hand-held moments, steadicam, crane, jib, car rigs etc. The thing may be "ugly" to some people, but whatever, just looking at it I can imagine using the camera in ways I'd've never dreamed of doing with any other 65mm (and quite a few 35mm) systems out there.

I don't get the whole audio this and that on the camera, but also I don't care as much as I do that the holder for the film (camera) works well and frees me up to do things which are new and exciting. Can't wait for cinegear to get a look at it.

• Premium Member

I called them up when I read about it the other day.....I spoke to Orla Nielson the 'testing manager' for nearly an hour....he was very happy to receive a call of support from overseas.....he told me they were getting requests for interviews from the industry from all over the world and that the interest was huge (by the way he commented about it not the same getting an email than a call from a person.....old school like me!) and he also told me BIG WORLD FAMOUS people had called them about the camera....of course he said there were tons of emails coming in

.....off the bat i told him I'm a nobody in the film world but felt compelled to call to congratulate them on such a ballsy, interesting move.........as a Hasselblad shooter I told him the mount was a fantastic idea.....he commented he was also a Hasselblad owner and we went on and on about our favourite lenses in our kits.......

He told me about how they designed the Super8 camera for Kodak that was presented originally - in terms of design there is an obvious parallel to me.....northern European minimalism in my view......and it does remind me of the Krasnogorsk3 as well hahaha

I cheekily asked him about the price point and he said a ton of money had been invested to get this done and that it was aimed at rental houses....they're going to the Los Angeles Cine gear thing now and spoke of the mad schedule they had with presenting the camera out there......dunno if I caught the info right but this has been done or not in hand with Kodak......obv as the latter makes the 65mm stock........

all in all the excitement for me is that all you guys who actually shoot feature films etc will get more 70mm features in cinemas and keep film alive and kicking and resurgent!

• Upvote 3

• Premium Member

Well, if it had all the aesthetic niceties (and accompanying costs in design and molding) you suggest for roll-out, I'll bet you'd be no more likely to run out an buy one today, eh?

Funny how even the slickest cameras wind up covered in tape, scratches and dirt; because they are TOOLS to get the job done.

Producers actually like cameras which look good on making off 's , or at least expensive if they are otherwise ugly looking things.

It does not help at all with technical aspects of the movie but it may help the marketing a bit, especially for indie short films where the camera system is part of the whole point of making the movie ("we can do a nice 10min short with an Alexa in no time, now give us money for a full lengh feature")

• Premium Member

Ohh for sure... but 2 perf is still an unusual format due to it's "locked" aspect ratio and it doesn't use the full width of the Super 35mm frame. There are WAY more 3 perf cameras out there and most people prefer that format.

What we need is something like the Penelope, but that's a very expensive endeavor and they already exist.

• Premium Member

the build quality of that 65 one screams cheap-o prosume :blink:

It does... and knowing Logmar's other camera, it's eh... probably not great.

HOWEVER!!!! My thought is that it may entice someone else, like Panavision for instance, to make a new camera. They have discussed it because they are the last world-wide rental house and the only that makes their own cameras. So if this camera does perk people's ears up for the format, maybe we do see a change soon.

Remember, the great thing about 70mm is that it's a 1:1 widescreen format. So what you shoot in camera, goes right to print, just like 4 perf 35mm and there are LOTS of projectors out there thanks to the Weinsteins. So yea... this is an exciting time and it maybe a few years, but I see a bigger renaissance coming soon!

I think the thing looks fine for a b camera. Put on a better matte box or whatever you need, a bit of camera tape and some cables and it will look like every other camera on a production. Plus, if they make money with it, it gets them established in pro cinema film cameras. That might attract the attention of any, er, competition.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

I read the whole article and the launch of new 65mm camera does sound promising. However, the cost of processing is beyond the reach of ordinary - about $730 per roll and upwards of $11,000 for an hour of footage. Is there a cheaper alternative to the processing? :-D