Jump to content

2022 Film Stock Price Increases?


Robin Phillips
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

 And why would anyone buy his toy when you can get a brand new one from arguably the best maker ever?

he was NOT going to sell the processor, he built the lab to process his own films and tried to get money back from it by processing films for customers. It is just that running a film lab it not a very good business on its own and he had to wrap it after a while. The idea was never to sell film processors; he wanted to run his own film lab because there was no film labs left in Finland after the Finnlab closed over 10 years ago ( was it 2009 or 2010, don't remember)  and the nearest available lab is in Sweden

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sustaining Member
1 minute ago, aapo lettinen said:

It is just that running a film lab it not a very good business on its own and he had to wrap it after a while.

Exactly, that's why there were no labs lol. 

It's not rocket science, generally if there is no businesses that do XYZ thing, then it's usually because it's not a profitable thing to do. 

Plus the big shows want to be at the big labs. So even if there WAS a big show in Finland, they would never process locally. London is so close, they'd just ship. You'd be shocked how many films shoot in places like India and ship to Fotokem in LA. It's all a matter of trust and quality, something you can't build with a small independent lab very easily. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sustaining Member
22 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

It's not rocket science, generally if there is no businesses that do XYZ thing, then it's usually because it's not a profitable thing to do. 

Not sure this is an accurate statement from a business perspective. If that were true, how did businesses ever come to exist in the first place?

Businesses often fail because they assume "if you build it, they will come." But marketing is perhaps more important than the service or quality thereof in most cases. Cannot tell you how many businesses fail because people don't even know they exist.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

he was NOT going to sell the processor, he built the lab to process his own films and tried to get money back from it by processing films for customers. It is just that running a film lab it not a very good business on its own and he had to wrap it after a while. The idea was never to sell film processors; he wanted to run his own film lab because there was no film labs left in Finland after the Finnlab closed over 10 years ago ( was it 2009 or 2010, don't remember)  and the nearest available lab is in Sweden

Having been the first customer and having helped him as a friend, I can tell that the reason for closing the lab was not financial. The reason behind building the lab was that A.A. wanted to make movies of his own on 16mm film and being a l'uomo universale, a true master of many things, building a lab & scanners was also a nice challenge for him.

Running such an amateur lab can become a burden, however, if your original intention wasn't really to become a lab owner in the first place. His contribution was really nice at the time, but I'm happy that he can now concentrate on things he likes (building things) and not running a laboratory. Shame though that he never got in to making those movies he had planned to do.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sustaining Member
Posted (edited)

Little update. 

Pricing will go up in Feb not Jan. They haven't finalized the new price list yet. 

It will be on ALL products, not just motion picture. 

On a good side, Kodak's office in Hollywood is selling short-ends and re-can's (mostly 35mm) at a highly discounted rate currently. If ya need 35mm, this is the best deal I have seen since 2016. So call them and ask about the short-ends and re-can's. They have most stocks available and some are sealed, with dented cans. Most are only a few months old production date. They sadly don't get much 16mm in, I bought a bunch of what they had tho. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Little update. 

Pricing will go up in Feb not Jan. They haven't finalized the new price list yet. 

It will be on ALL products, not just motion picture. 

On a good side, Kodak's office in Hollywood is selling short-ends and re-can's (mostly 35mm) at a highly discounted rate currently. If ya need 35mm, this is the best deal I have seen since 2016. So call them and ask about the short-ends and re-can's. They have most stocks available and some are sealed, with dented cans. Most are only a few months old production date. They sadly don't get much 16mm in, I bought a bunch of what they had tho. 

Literally came here to say the same thing haha. Went to their hollywood office today and also heard that february is the month of the price increase. Stocked up from b&h for now with their student discount, they finally had some 16mm in stock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sustaining Member
4 hours ago, Marco Montenegro said:

Hey folks I spoke to mr Brown personally from Kodak and he said he is not aware of any price increases. I shoot film only and I would be bummed if they increase it but he said that prices are the same 

Correct, the pricing is the same currently. The price change won't happen until the new price list comes out. It could be a week, it could be two weeks, but it's happening very soon. The good news is that Kodak has a great new discounted film program of re-can's, short ends and returned stock. So getting discounted stock won't be an issue at all. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sustaining Member

I'm gonna stock up on my fave Portra 800 film for my hasselblad work thats for sure...the most expensive colour negative for us photographers....but wow what a film!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...